Winter is officially set on full blast! How do you fight the wintertime skin blues? Here are five steps to aid in treating our dry skin so you can focus on the more important things this winter. Like hibernating with some soup and Netflix.
1. Don't hate, Exfoliate! Get rid of dead dull skin to increase your cell turnover rate. How? use a gentle enzyme peel or a stronger alpha hydroxy peel to get skin vibrant again. Pearl Tip! Don't over exfoliate! 1-2 times a week should do the trick.
2. Serums and Snow Days - the goal for dry skin is to keep the skin hydrated and nourished. So follow that exfoliation up with a hydrating serum. The hot ingredient this year is hyaluronic acid. It's hydrating and non-comedogenic - meaning it will nourish your skin without clogging your pores! So go ahead and slather that baby all over your face.
3. Magnificent Masks - follow up that serum with a hydrating mask - how do you know if it's really hydrating? If you see glycerine, hyaluronic acid or squalene you're on the right track! Pearl Tip! Oilier Skins beware. Many hydrating products can also clog pores. Check your ingredients before you buy.
4. Brave the Cold and Get a Facial - there's no replacing a professional facial when it comes to skin care - ask your Esthetician about the galvanic machine - it can help with product penetration to really infuse that hydration into your skin.
5. Moisturize Me - you want a barrier to from the outside elements, so pick a good oil based moisturizer, add some sunscreen, and you're ready to romp in the snow!
There you have it folks! Remember, sometimes dry skin is actually dehydrated skin. Do drink plenty of water in addition to the steps above.