Oh Papaya. The fruit that Christopher Columbus deemed “the fruit of the angels.” On my latest grocery store run, I grabbed a Papaya as a last-minute purchase and it got me thinking. Papaya is not only delicious and a fun word to say (seriously just try saying it, pa-pay-a!), it also has numerous benefits for your skin. And so, my latest blog post was born! Here are five benefits of Papaya that will have you running to your local grocer:
1. Fiber Frenzy – Anyone that loves this fruit knows how much it aids in digestion. The high amounts of fiber make it ideal for absorbing and expelling toxins from the body. And detoxification = glowing skin!
2. Vitamins, Minerals, and Antioxidants, Oh My! Vitamin C, Vitamin A and minerals like phosphorus, iron, potassium, copper, manganese, calcium, and magnesium are all found in papaya. Talk about being an all star in the fruit community! Do you think the other fruits are jealous?
3. Plenty of Papain – Papaya contains an enzyme called Papain that, when applied topically, eats away only at the dead skin on your face. This allows oxygen into the skin and brightens your complexion without irritation. Simply take the juice of the papaya and swab your face with it using a cotton ball. Leave on for 10 minutes (less if you start to experience redness or irritation) and rinse with cold water.
4. Dark Circle Destroyer – Papaya is also a natural lightener and contains vitamin K, which is extremely effective at reducing dark undereye circles. Cut off the ends of the papaya and place over eyes for five-ten minutes, then rinse with cool water.
5. Eat your Water – In addition to being chock full of antioxidants and vitamins, papaya also contains a ton of water. Hydrate through consumption, or mash one up and mix with some honey for a hydrating face mask.
However you enjoy it, papaya is a fantastic addition to your diet. Share with us! What’s your favorite papaya recipes?